Things have been rough in the news lately. Lord Dampnut and his minions have made a lot of troubling decisions and we’re seeing a lot of negative, bigoted people doing bad things in the news. Originally, this post was going to be some of my concerns about what’s been happening, but when I thought about actually sitting down to write that post, I was exhausted. I believe it’s important to stay informed and so I try my best to keep up with the news, but so much of it is hard to read these days. Articulating what is upsetting about what’s happening in this country is important, but it’s also important to recognize when you need a break from it all.
So like Julie Andrews says “when I’m feeling lonely or sad, I simply remember my favorite things, and then I don’t feel so bad!” Here are a few simple things this week that have made me smile.
- Yesterday, February 8th, it was 75 degrees. I wore a dress and didn’t even need tights or a sweater.
- Jemma Jinx doesn’t wake me up when I’m sleeping. Instead she sleeps on the end of my bed until I wake up, and then she comes and cuddles with me. I still hate having to get up early in the morning, but instant cat cuddles helps make it a little less painful.
- We got cupcakes from Sugarland this week. Their cupcakes are the best.
- We were able to find a Girl Scout who could sell us more Smores cookies. We only bought one box originally and then it turned out that they are super amazing so we needed more.
- I have gotten to read sooo many good middle grade books. The library at the school I’m working at is very well stocked so I’m finally reading a lot of the newer middle grade books that I’ve been curious about, but haven’t wanted to buy.
- I’ve heard a lot of things about LuLaRoe, so when I noticed that a woman had set up a local boutique, I thought I’d stop by. I got a few things, all of which I’m loving. But the point I wanted to make here is that I bought a pair of their leggings and they may be the most comfortable piece of clothing I have ever owned.
What are some of your favorite things? What little things cheer you up when you’re sad?