About a month ago, I decided I was going to sew a costume and that I was going to do it by myself (said in the tone of a three year old – “No, I can do it!”). So I chose a simple enough pattern (Simplicity 1771 – faux medieval, vaguely hobbit-esque) and bought some fabric on discount.
Jemma Jinx was keen to help.
As was Harry Potter. By finding the pattern piece I needed. And sitting on it.
I didn’t take too many progress photos because I pretty much followed the pattern’s instructions. Here’s one of the completed bodice before I attached the skirt. I did have to modify one thing because I misjudged my pattern size. You would think a size 0/2 would fit in the pattern size 8, but you could be wrong. Not by a lot, but I had to re-do the side seams with a slightly smaller seam allowance. It wasn’t that big a problem, and the next size up would have been too big, but it is something for me to remember if I use this pattern again.
The dress was almost done before we left for England, but I hadn’t put the zipper in yet. I’ve been telling myself I should finish it since we got back, but today was the day I finally followed through on it.
We’ll take more polished photos at some point, but I was too excited about having finished a costume all on my own to want to wait. So we took a few quick pictures in our backyard before dinner.
It’s far from perfect, but guys!!! I did a thing!!
Stay magical readers!